Freestanding tubs have been trending for a few years now, and it’s not difficult to see why. These tubs are large, elegant, and they invoke the feeling of staying at a spa resort. While these tubs are certainly very luxurious and delightful to look at, they aren’t the right solution for every bathroom design.
- Look. Freestanding tubs come in all shapes and sizes, lending themselves to any bathroom design. No matter what style you choose, these tubs add a sense of luxury to any bathroom design. They stand out as a great statement piece in any bathroom where it is used as a focal point.
- Installation. While creating standalone plumbing for a freestanding tub does require some serious plumber work, installation for a freestanding tub is often smoother and faster than a built-in tub since it does not require any shell or tile work.
- Flexibility. A freestanding tub doesn’t need to be against a wall for placement—that said, it does require space around it. However, in the right bathroom it can offer a much more flexible placement option than a built-in tub.
- Desirability. Freestanding tubs are all the rage right now due to their luxurious aesthetic, so selling your home can be a little easier if you have a freestanding tub installed.
- Cost. Freestanding tubs are more expensive than built-ins, even when you consider the cost of tiling.
- Storage. Freestanding tubs don’t have anywhere to store your necessities, such as shampoo and soap or body wash. This lack of storage also means there’s no space for small extras, such as candles that can offer a relaxing bathing experience.
- Weight. Freestanding tubs are incredibly heavy, and they weigh even more once they’re full of water. Floors often need to be reinforced or enhanced in order to ensure that they are able to hold the weight of the tub. This is even more of a challenge if you are trying to install the tub on an upper level.
- Height. Freestanding tubs are meant to be massive statement pieces, and that means most of them have very tall sides so that they have a lot of depth. Unfortunately, this means they can be difficult even for young, able-bodied people to get into and out of. For aging adults or anyone with mobility issues, using a freestanding tub can actually be dangerous or downright impossible.
- Cleaning. Freestanding tubs are much harder to clean than built-in tubs. If there isn’t enough space around the outside of the tub, it will be difficult to get to some areas for cleaning. It is also hard to clean underneath freestanding tubs and ensuring that the entire tub is spic and span.
Call Bowen Remodeling & Design
Are you ready to remodel your bathroom? The team at Bowen Remodeling & Design can help! We make your dream bathroom a reality with our simple, four-step bathroom remodeling process.
Bowen Remodeling & Design specializes in kitchen and bathroom remodeling in Annapolis, Severna Park, Edgewater, Crownsville, Arnold, Millersville, Laurel, Odenton, Bowie, Clarksville, Columbia, Ellicott City, and surrounding areas!
As a family-owned and operated business, Bowen Remodeling commits to providing extraordinary home improvement services with an emphasis on customer satisfaction. For a free estimate, give us a call at 410-451-5928 and visit our showroom in Crofton, Maryland! For more information, follow Bowen Remodeling on Facebook and Twitter!