There are several viable options for bathroom flooring, and choosing the right one depends on various factors such as design, aesthetics, and water resistance. Carefully consider the pros and cons of each flooring option before committing to one, so you know for sure that what you choose will work for you.
Porcelain tile is considered best in class when it comes to bathroom flooring, with ceramic tile in a close second. Even though these are considered the best options for a few important reasons, they aren’t the right choice for everyone and have a few drawbacks. Along with certain types of natural stone, a tile floor is the best choice for a wet room bathroom due to the excessive moisture present.
- Porcelain tile has a water absorption rate of 0.5% or less.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Many styles and designs to choose from.
- Radiant heating can be added underneath.
- Can be cold and uncomfortable.
- Hard surface is difficult to stand on for long periods.
Natural stone can really take a bathroom over the top, making it incredibly unique and spa-like. It’s easily one of the most luxurious bathroom flooring options available.
- Raises property value.
- Luxurious finish.
- Highly durable.
- Most expensive option.
- Not all natural stone types are good options.
- Cold and hard surface can be uncomfortable.
Vinyl is one of the most popular bathroom flooring options out there, and for good reason. This type of flooring comes in sheet, plank, and tile versions, all of which work well in bathrooms and other areas of the home with excessive moisture.
- Highly waterproof.
- Easy to install, can be done yourself.
- Many available styles and designs.
- Does not raise the value of your home.
- Can peel, become damaged, or show bumps beneath it.
Engineered hardwood is another viable option, though not necessarily the best option depending on how much moisture your bathroom experiences. Solid hardwood, on the other hand, should never be considered for a bathroom, as it is prone to warping when exposed to moisture.
- Made of real wood (with plywood base).
- Less prone to warping than solid hardwood.
- Moderately expensive.
- Can still warp if exposed to excessive moisture.
Call Bowen Remodeling & Design
Are you ready to remodel your bathroom? The team at Bowen Remodeling & Design can help! We make your dream bathroom a reality with our simple, four-step bathroom remodeling process.
Bowen Remodeling & Design specializes in kitchen and bathroom remodeling in Annapolis, Severna Park, Edgewater, Crownsville, Arnold, Millersville, Laurel, Odenton, Bowie, Clarksville, Columbia, Ellicott City, and surrounding areas!
As a family-owned and operated business, Bowen Remodeling commits to providing extraordinary home improvement services with an emphasis on customer satisfaction. For a free estimate, give us a call at 410-451-5928 and visit our showroom in Crofton, Maryland! For more information, follow Bowen Remodeling on Facebook and Twitter!